Friday, February 18, 2011

The Civil War


(JARRAF)I am Karen. I was born on April 10th, 1967. My grandfather Martin was born in USA on June 24th, 1831. He was 30 years old when the American Civil War took place. He has died a long time ago. But he has passed on the history of the Civil War to his children. So, now I am going to show you some parts of my grandfather's journal about The American Civil War.

Gran's Journal (1893): I leave this part of my journal for my children to understand what it was like to be in The Civil War. Yes, you guessed right. I was present during the Civil War. I was a slave from when I was 14 years old. My master was polite. He always helped me in my works. Taught me how to study. White people like him was hard to find those days. But political condition was not good those days. Relations between Northern United States and Southern United States was tense. It was getting worse everyday. A war was obvious. My master was also worried about the fact. He told me "Let's just wait and see, I don't like what's going on." 

Hostilities began on April 12, 1861, when Confederate forces attacked an US military installation at Fort Sumter in South Carolina. Lincoln responded by calling for armies from different states. Thus, it caused secession from four slave states. Lincoln's Emancipation proclamation made ending slavery in the South a war goal. The war started when all the Southern States declared secession. The war was a true Industrial war. Railroads, telegraphs, steamships and mass-produced weapons were used extensively. The southern states won the war after 4 long years. In all these days, I never went out of the house. I was dead scared of the war that was going on. When it ended, I was relieved. I heard of massive amount of deaths. I was sad to hear it. But the winning of the South caused Slavery to be abolished. I was reluctant to leave my master. But Freedom won Loyalty. My master gave me money so I could live with my family.

(DANIEL)After a short time,I used the money to start a new beginning of life all over again. I started doing plantation, which helped alot giving me a job, food to eat and I really relied on cash crops as a source of income.I produced all sorts of crops such as cotton,rubber,sugar cane,tobbaco,figgs,rice,kobak,sisal and indigo.The longer a crops harvest period, the more  efficient plantations are.Good , more taste I guess.!!  Plantation crops also differ in that they need processing immediately after harvesting. Sugar, tea sisal and palm oil are most suited to plantations, coconuts, rubber and cotton to a lesser extent. I included a drawn picture of a fruit because when I started my life over, the money that my master gave me really help me with agriculture.Everthing was going great, too much work but you know what, what can be better then having freedom in the world.I had to owe It to my master because instead of treating me as a slave , he gave money to have better life and I really appreciate him giving me freedon and money.I will never forget what he has done and the drawing of the fruit shows the sign of him helping me, a better life.A good agriclture.Without my master I dont know what would happen to me.I might become an actual slave or worse I might have died.

I am wrote all this stuff because I want people to know that some white people were not against slavery.Some people wanted to end it slavery and some people didn't  want to end slavery like KKK( klu klucks clan).






BY- Jarraf Amin and Daniel Afzal


No comments:

Post a Comment